Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy® Certification
Myotherapy is a method of relieving muscle-related pain and dysfunction due to muscle spasm. Myotherapy has two functions: To relieve pain and raise the level of fitness. “The two are interdependent. You must be pain free in order to exercise and you must do specific exercises to keep pain at bay.” Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy, Bonnie Prudden’s Complete Guide to Pain-Free Living.
When Bonnie first developed Myotherapy, she discovered that there were many more trigger points and places in which to look for trigger points than had been previously noted. Dr. Tivy, who wrote the foreword and afterward for PAIN ERASURE, felt that this was Bonnie’s key contribution. After treating hundreds of patients, comparing their histories and noting patterns of pain and corresponding trigger points, she developed a system of points, lines and corrective exercises for the various symptoms and muscle groups. These points and lines have evolved into Quick Fix, Basics and Clean Out.
A complete patient history is needed in order to determine how the muscles have been used/misused/not used throughout a lifetime. This history gives the therapist clues as to which muscle groups need to be treated, which combination of the three techniques should be used and which corrective movements are appropriate in order to keep muscles free of spasm and pain.
QUICK FIX targets the fewest number of points possible to erase pain quickly. These points, in general, are the ones most directly related to the area of pain. Passive stretches on the table are used after each muscle group has been checked for trigger points. Two or three corrective movements are shown to the patient to be done at home. The specific passive and corrective exercises are designed to teach the muscle a new habit, increase function and range of movement and keep the pain from returning.
BASIC LINES build on Quick Fix. Additional lines and points in muscle groups are checked for trigger points depending on the patient’s history. Muscle groups further away from the main area of pain may be contributing secondary trigger points which need to be addressed before pain relief becomes more permanent. Basic Lines are used when a more thorough check of the bulk of the muscle is indicated. As with Quick-Fix, passive stretches on the table are performed and the patient is given corrective movements to be done at home.
CLEAN-OUT LINES are very specific patterns and are used when basic lines do not relieve all of the patient’s pain. After using Quick Fix and Basic Lines the pain is usually narrowed down to a limited area. They involve a greater number of points and lines and a variety of angles in the area to be determined as the “hold out”.
Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy Certification Program
THE TRAINING: The program is divided into three LEVELS. I, II, III. Each LEVEL is divided into three phases.
PURPOSE: To train individuals in Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy® and Corrective Movement
ELIGIBILITY: In order to practice Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy® legally, you will need to hold a current state and/or national license. However, the course is open to anyone, and it is not necessary to complete Phase II and III if you do not wish to practice and are coming solely for your own learning experience.
LOCATION & HOTEL INFORMATION: All workshops are held at the LaQuinta Inns & Suites, 102 N. Alvernon Way, Tucson, AZ 85711 (across from Reid Park). To book your hotel room and receive a corporate discount, call 800-753-3757 or 520-795-0330 and use the code Bonni7. To make your reservations online go to www.laquintatucsonreidpark.com. Enter arrival and departure dates and click on options. Type Bonni7 in the box. Your corporate discount will show what your rate is during that timeframe.
Level 1 Certification
LEVEL I 28 CE Hours NCBTMB APPROVED QUICK FIX: Leading to the title of Certified Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy ® Technician. This course has been approved by the AzPTA for 28 continuing competence contact hours. Arizona licensed physical therapists are urged to review Arizona Administrative Code R4-24-402 prior to committing to this or any course to meet their continuing competence requirements.
PHASE I WORKSHOP This 28 hour, in-person, hands on instruction workshop will prepare Trainees to treat Patients utilizing Bonnie Prudden “Quick Fix” Myotherapy and Corrective Movements.
- Learn Quick-Fix points and lines
- Learn proper techniques
- Learn passive and corrective movement
- Learn Kraus-Weber (K-W) test and correctives
- Patient Intake- history, taking and interpreting
- Treatment Plans: sequence of points and lines as it pertains to patient’s intake; corrective movement
- Treatment notes: development and notation of
- Subsequent session planning: development and practice
Phase II Practicum
- Patient treatment: Trainee will, at a minimum, treat 5 patients with at least 5 different problems (i.e. wrist, back, knee, hip, ankle, shoulder, headache, etc.,), treat each for at least 3 sessions
- Treatment plan: trainee will prepare all patient notes, i.e., intake, daily notes, treatment plans, results, etc.
- Treatment Evaluations: all notes will be submitted and will be evaluated by Instructors
- NOTE: Additional treatments and/or training may be required in order to prepare the trainee for the final phase which is Board Exams. This is to be determined by the instructors and/or Testers following the evaluation process
Phase III Board Exams
Board Exams are an additional $150.00. The $150.00 fee includes the Practical, Oral and Written testing, and lasts about 60 – 90 minutes.
- Written: may be sent in
- Oral: is done in person
- Practical: must be tested by tester in person
Trainees will be tested on the following:
- History and principles of Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy
- Therapist techniques
- Myotherapy techniques
- Quick-Fix Points and lines
- Anatomy as it pertains to Quick Fix Myotherapy
- Passive stretches
- Corrective Movements
- History, origins, uses and application of the Kraus-Weber Test
- Ability to give the Kraus-Weber Test and correctives
- Ability to put together treatment plan(s) for various types of pain
- Ability to give Patient Corrective Movement as well as to correct the movements.
Once a trainee has taken the Level I class, successfully completed the practicum and passed all Board Exams, he/she will hold the title of Certified Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy Technician
LEVELS II AND III FOLLOW THE SAME THREE PHASES
Level II Basic Lines: Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy® Practitioner Certification
28 CE hours NCBTMB Approved Provider #022185-00 – AZAPT Approved
LEVEL II BASIC LINES CERTIFICATION CLASS: Leading to the title of Certified Bonnie Prudden Practitioner
Level III Clean Out: Bonnie Prudden Myotherapy® Myotherapist Certification
28 CE hours NCBTMB Approved Provider #022185-00 – AZAPT Approved
Level III CLEAN OUT LINES CERTIFICATION CLASS: leading to title of Certified Bonnie Prudden Myotherapist